Wednesday, July 12, 2006

The Domicile, Part I

I've made some progress on the Sandnes blankie, but not enough to take another photo... I was able to get some of it done yesterday while watching Pride & Prejudice (note the ampersand) on DVD. Yes, the Pride & Prejudice production that thought it adequate to *use* an ampersand in the title... of course, I'm referring to the non-BBC, non-Colin Firth, non-Jennifer Ehle, non-pond swimming scene Pride & Prejudice. The Keira Knightley version. Ugh. Granted, cutting four hours out of the adaptation will cause the movie to suffer, but still... ugh. I'm just glad I had knitting there to soothe me as I scoffed at Keira Knightley's "acting". Don't get me wrong - she was good in Bend It Like Beckham, she even wasn't too bad in Love Actually even though that was a crappy movie, and I confess that I'm one of the four people on earth who hasn't seen Pirates of the Carribean - the first or the second - but I may cave on that one. But Pride & Prejudice? No. Ok, so I digress... not a lot of knitting content there and verging on rant... I went to my first stitch and bitch in the boston area last night - tried out the arlington group and had a good time. Thanks, of course, to Lauren for connecting Kristin and I as recent transplants to Boston. Incidentally, Kristin and I have decided that Lauren knows EVERYONE. Everyone, everywhere. Seriously, that woman is connected.

Pardon the slight disorganization (but seriously, that's as good as it's going to get for now... er, at least until Friday when my mom and dad are showing up from Toronto...), but this is our new living room. It is still a work in progress - we will hang things on the wall when we're done with the other rooms and we've still got two rooms left to go. Three, if you include the indoor porch at the front of the house (on the other side of those far living room windows). Notice my mobile knitting bag (as opposed to my "KNITTING BAG" which is an extra large, er, two extra large LL Bean totes that serve as my stash/WIP storage) strewn on the couch to the left.

And our very boring bathroom.









Ok, so these are boring pictures... I haven't figured out how to take a flattering picture of the kitchen yet - it is great - it's just a difficult room for a picture due to one super long counter... Oh, and then there's the fact that it is Dissertation Central currently. Brendan has boxes of stuff - files full of data actually - and his laptop at the kitchen table and is going to town. As for our bedroom, it is too boring to take a photo - I'll have to wait until there are things on the wall.

So, the dining room and the "office" (a.k.a. second bedroom) are complete disasters. I'm looking to make some serious progress before my parents get here. Wish me luck!

6 Comments:

Blogger Lauren said...

The apartment looks great. D and I will have to invite ourselves over some time. I'm glad to have connected you and Kris. I really only know people in New England and southern CA...

11:21 a.m., July 12, 2006  
Blogger Jofrog said...

I just read on Kris's blog that you went to the Arlington S&B. I work in Arlington 3 days a week, and Thea lives there. Everywhere you look there are local bloggers, especially in the Boston area. Feel free to ask any questions you have, especially if you want the dish on the LYSs!

1:40 p.m., July 12, 2006  
Blogger Rachel said...

Yay! Glad you found a knitting group you like!

5:03 p.m., July 12, 2006  
Blogger barbp said...

It's looking great, and you'll certainly feel a big difference once you get your pictures and such up on the walls.

Glad you found a fun group.

8:52 p.m., July 12, 2006  
Blogger Sneaksleep said...

So, do you get lost going from one room to the other of your new place? It's so BIG (especially compared to your old place). Looking forward to more pics!

4:00 p.m., July 13, 2006  
Blogger Suess said...

Beautiful apartment! I'm drooling over the couch. We are currently making due with a padded lawn chair, folding stadium chair and the laptop propped on a stool to watch dvd's:-) The doggy bed is the same in a corner so can't complain! We had a great trip as you read and have been busy cutting, cleaning, shopping. Uncle HE arrived after his motorcycle trip cross-country...but more news will be posted in the blog today. Just had to comment and get up to date on others lives before working more on our own blog! Glad the boston SnB's are fun too. Havent gotten that far here yet. Agree about Lauren too....so she have any contacts in Fairbanks or are we stretching her there??
Take care!

12:18 p.m., July 26, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home