Monday, May 01, 2006

The Baby Llama has Arrived!

Yay! So, after picking Brendan up from the Providence airport, we popped into my in-laws to say hello yesterday afternoon. The llama had just been born - it is a "he" - first boy llama born there after two girls. He was 3 weeks late for their normal 1 year gestation period. His mum, Contessa was doing well. Hell, *he* was doing well considering he was FOUR HOURS old when I saw him and took these photos. I guess that llamas start humming when they're going to give birth, so yesterday morning my M-I-L found all the llamas (there are seven) standing around together, humming. Contessa's last crea, now fully grown, Molly, was very confused all day because her mum was humming away but not with/to her. At noon, Contessa gave birth to this long-legged cutie. He has no name yet, but she wants to call him "Kokopelli"? It's an original idea... though probably won't be teaching the little crea how to play the flute anytime soon. :-) My vote was for "Java" or "Cocoa", hee hee or "Coco Crisp" but then what if *he* ever became a Yankee? So, city girl me was amazed by this miracle of nature, i.e., giving birth to a thing that huge with no medical assistance. Yowzers.

I have to confess that I'm sooo much more interested in the llamas (selfishly) now that I'm knitting with llama wool. If I keep feeding my M-I-L knitting patterns and help, maybe she'll keep hitting me with more fibre. A girl can dream. :-)

7 Comments:

Blogger Lauren said...

Fiesta has a yarn named Kokopelli, but it's a mohair/silk blend. Interesting minds think alike?

10:39 a.m., May 01, 2006  
Blogger Zarzuela said...

So cute!!! I'd be pretty interested in llamas too if I knew someone with one! ;)

8:17 p.m., May 01, 2006  
Blogger Rachel said...

That might be the cutest thing I've every seen! So they hum, huh? I would think giving birth to something that size would make me want to do any thing but hum. Lucky I'm not a llama.

6:25 p.m., May 02, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi from Austria! I can't believe how cute this little llama boy is, I'd love to cuddle him all over! And just imagining the heavenly wool they have to share makes it even more great!:) Thanks for sharing these pics!

6:04 a.m., May 03, 2006  
Blogger Sneaksleep said...

Awww! I just want to snuggle and cuddle him (and make him promise to give his fleece to me, and only me, when it's time for his first shearing). That yarn you showed us is sooooo soft!

2:44 p.m., May 03, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOve the Llama boy!!! I'd love to hear the birthing hum! Great pics. They make want to get my own llama!

6:56 p.m., May 03, 2006  
Blogger claudia said...

That baby is adorable.

9:01 a.m., May 04, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home