Thursday, April 27, 2006

Indian Food and Stitchin' n' Bitchin'

Met up with some fine ladies and one guest blogger for an indian dinner pre-stitch n'bitch. I had a blonde moment and forgot, forgot (?) to order my dish HOT. The boti kebab massala was yummy though and it has been too long since my last indian food binge. I don't know how we started talking about it while waiting for our entrées, but somehow I brought up my dining experience when foie gras was presented in a non-paté form as my appetizer, that is, whole whack of marinated fatty liver on my plate. After reading about Chicago's decision this morning and the article background on just how those livers become fatty, I think I've decided I can live without foie gras completely.

Met up with more fine knitters at Stitch n' Bitch and an inquisitive author contributing to a book about 'subcultures in america'. Her section was investigating the knitterly subculture. Discussion ensued on the to-blog-or-not-to-blog question, Jessica's thoughts, and some other ideas. Lauren had very constructive advice about posting discussions or questions about any pattern problems I might have encountered (like the recent one concerning the VK 2002 "Double Twist" Green Mountain Spinnery sweater - but more on that later - I actually have future blogging ideas) .

Generally, I have/had? three main areas of concern for starting a knitting blog:

1) I wouldn't have enough interesting knitting projects to blog about. I have been knitting since I was 6 and have mostly stuck to bulky-ish sweaters that take a long (calendar) time to complete. I tend to like aran knitting after this monstrosity scared me away and I tend to like using unprocessed philosopher's wool. Boring, right? There is no Noro or Koigu or Karabella in my past. I'm just a plain jane knitter - usually on a budget (have you seen the Boston housing market?).

2) Procrastination. I might use the blog and the upkeep of the blog and the reading of other blogs as a prime procrastinatory activity that keeps me from performing basic tasks - like ADLs. I've picked up that little diagnostic description from dear Brendan - "Attention to Daily Living" - so someone with poor ADLs might smell kinda bad, be unkempt in appearance, etc. - it kind of indicates that someone is struggling to cope (I think). Now, I'm not saying that I'd go off the deep end with a blog and neglect daily showers and stuff, but I may get obsessive about it and spend a disproportionate amount of time with it. Sometimes, my knitting gets this way - I just want to finish something so I keep knitting and end up sitting in the same place on the couch with moving for hours - that can't be good? healthy? can it? Do other knitters manage a better KIP/life balance? They must.

3) Drinking the Kool-Aid. Brendan jokingly commented that blogging about knitting might be the first step toward collecting the intergallactic toll one needed for the Hale-Bopp Comet spaceship. A gateway step to further cult-dom.... Well, that is definitely hyperbole but how much street cred can he have after his DnD years?

The CT Sheep and Wool festival is this weekend... I've never been to such a thing, but I am happily being convinced that I *should* go.

p.s. Still no baby llama.

2 Comments:

Blogger Lauren said...

So you told Brendan?

12:57 a.m., April 28, 2006  
Blogger Sneaksleep said...

LOL at Lauren's comment. Yes, you should DEFINITELY go to CT Sheep & Wool. It will help break you in a bit for Rhinebeck. Because even though you'll be living in Boston by then, you *have* to come to Rhinebeck. ;-)

I found that the best way to do a knitting blog is just to jump into it. You'll eventually find your pace and your voice. It's true that it can be used to procrastinate, but I am far more likely to be obsessive about the knitting itself than the knitblogging. You will be fine. And you. Will. Be. Assimilated. :-D

11:44 a.m., April 28, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home