Sunday, April 30, 2006

CT Sheep & Wool Festival... and mini yarn crawl

'Went to the CT Sheep & Wool Festival yesterday in Tolland, Connecticut with Lauren and then met up with Jessica and HWJF. It was my very first festival of this sort and I think was overloading in terms of yarn stimuli, just a little bit (how will I ever handle "The Backroom" at WEBS?). While I don't think I was overly traumatized by watching the sheep sheering going on, I *was* amazed at the ability of the lone sheerer vs. the sheep. Singlehandedly holding down a several hundred pound sheep while holding clippers to the thing... well, let's just say it makes me think that I'm putting forth feeble attempts at restraining kitty (or should I say, Wolverine?) and trimming her claws. Yes, sad indeed.

I showed a boring level of budgetary restraint and refrained from buying anything... that's right, I bought nothing. And then, there was this place on the way home. So unassuming... so sad looking on the outside... yet, behold, such an above average yarn selection inside. And such a lovely staff. I had yarn lust over a few things and started rationalizing that I really *should* buy some Cascade 220 or Lopi to make those felted slippers I've always wanted to make.... and how those WIPs hiding away were no problem.... they could stand to be WIPs in perpetuity - that I wouldn't actually have to *finish* something before starting on a *new* project. Then I thought of Trooper and Lacey and what they would think. I had that beautiful llama yarn sitting and waiting for me to pick it up and continue and I felt better. The itch to buy went away and managed to leave as chaste as I entered.

3 Comments:

Blogger Zarzuela said...

Glad you were able to spend the day with us! :) You have some serious self control!! I'm so impressed! I wish I could say the same... ;)

Jessica

1:11 p.m., April 30, 2006  
Blogger Lauren said...

Thanks so much for the rides and company! When I told my crazy Torontonian friend about it, he was surprisingly very sad that he missed out on a day of sheep and alpacas.

1:30 p.m., April 30, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy to have met you - however briefly ;o) Thanks for the memory nudge *grin*

10:06 a.m., May 01, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home