Wednesday, September 08, 2004

Weekend Wedding on Lon Gisland

After 2.5 exhausting weeks, we're back at home in Tulsa. We had a great time visiting while in MA (and RI and NY), but it took its toll. Last Saturday, I started feeling ill on the drive down to NYC. Once we got into Brooklyn, I was feeling kind of queasy and dizzy and bloated with swollen glands. Anyway, by Sunday I had alternating fever and chills, dizzyness and burning in my stomach. Ugh. I sent Brendan off to do Best Man stuff and I went to check into our little hotel and sweat out the fever. I felt a bit better after a few more hours of sleep and perked up for the wedding. Brendan's friend Paul (one of the groomsmen at our wedding) was the one getting married - his fiance/now wife is from long island.... so this was definitely the fanciest wedding I've been to - valet parking, white-gloved service at every turn, women in full-length formal dresses, several hors d'oeuvres stations in a crystal chandeliered, two story high room (wedding was at Bethpage Golf Club - where the 2002 and 2009 US Open for Golf was and will be, so previous hosts to Tiger Woods). Insanity. The dessert wasn't just dessert or one dessert table, but about six dessert tables, each staffed with someone making something for you - a guy with a waffle maker, fruit, syrup, and ice cream, a guy at an ice cream sundae bar, a 2 foot high chocolate fountain, a creperie... and so on. Live band... troupe of irish dancers performing during the first course (bride is sicilian-american, but brendan's buddy the groom, of course, is irish). La la...

After getting back yesterday morning, I slept most of the afternoon and then from 7pm till 8 am this morning. Tonsils briefly had white spots on Monday and those seem to be gone now, but still thinking I'll go to the doctor. I'm just now starting to eat (yes, I passed up that wonderful dessert oasis - ha ha, get it - at the wedding) and still feel like I have a bullfrog in my throat.

Oh, I went in for my fingerprinting today - with real ink and everything - at the Tulsa County Sheriffs Office. Apparently, I just made it under the line - next month, all fingerprinting will be done in Oklahoma City, so that save us three hours of driving. I guess the fbi now takes about 4-6 weeks to check me out before they give ins the okay. I was simply amazed that I missed my scheduled appt (which was going to happen 8/27, while I was in Boston) and I went in today instead and was done in about 20 minutes. :-) The guy had to make a note that I had a severed finger so that the fbi wouldn't think it was just a bad print and would need to be redone. la la...

Weather is like summer here which is nice - I can definitely handle another month or two of this. I'm really looking forward to kicking back this weekend, maybe going to the Tulsa Rose Garden and Horticultural Centre for the Iris Sale (saw a sign this morning) and cleaning/organizing the house, finishing the few straggler wedding thank yous...


Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home