Friday, August 26, 2005

More about the Sesqui Sweater


Went to the local Stitch n' Bitch last night and met some cool-ass knitters. I'm totally inspired to continue with this behemoth project and finish it (?) in time for our 10 year homecoming next month. I will insert a photo of its current state here...

So, let me explain this nifty sweater. As I said, it was designed for Queen's University's 150th (Sesquicentennial) celebration in 1991. The design incorporates the elements of the school coat of arms - the Scottish thistle, the Irish clover, the English Rose, the Canadian pine. It also incorporates the year of the Royal Charter starting the school (1841) and the "current" year at the time (my first year of engineering), 1991. Also found is the cross of St. Andrew and the crown as minor patterns. Definitely, a cool idea and I really love the finished sweaters I've seen. I'm not sure I would bother with another fair isle sweater if it didn't have this much meaning behind it. I much prefer using Philosopher's Wool / unprocessed wool for aran type sweaters (see Sept '04 entry).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home